Teen Vogue Fashion University 2015

Posted on Thursday, 26 March 2015

Hello all! I'm back from America!

I ideally would've liked to publish this post earlier but unfortunately my laptop broke the weekend I got back from America :( Damn those Microsoft computers!

Alas, have no fear! I'm currently writing this from my Mum's Macbook (and finishing it off in the local library) and am here to tell you all about TVFU!

So it all began on Thursday afternoon when I arrived at my Lower Manhattan hotel. As soon as we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge, as cringey as it sounds, I felt the City's energy! The buzz. The excitement.

View of Lower Manhattan
Friday began with a day of sightseeing, accompanied by Mum. I plan to share the sightseeing photos in a separate 'photo diary' post - STAY TUNED! We visited Times Square in the afternoon to be greeted by this:

Express billboard in Times Square
Express, the popular high street, was hosting the TVFU kick-off party. For me, seeing the billboard that afternoon, was the official start to TVFU! It was surreal to see the significance of the event in NYC,  the sponsors involved, and I was part of it :')

Fast forward a few hours (more sightseeing, eating, changing etcc..), then the party began! There was a photobooth where you could take cute photos and videos, cocktails, a flash tattoo parlour and more:

Havin' fun with new friends at the Photobooth
Posing with the April issue of Teen Vogue

Meeting the beauty editor of Teen Vogue - Elaine Welteroth
It was also the first time that I was able to meet some of the other students in person. We were interacting months prior to the event on a Facebook group so it was great to finally match an actual person to an online persona!

Saturday is where the real action began. I'm not gonna lie though, the jet lag was real! But I wasn't gonna let that stop me from enjoying the event. After fueling up on obligatory coffee at Starbucks, the lectures began:


After battling the winds that morning (it was raining and dreary), I made it to One World Trade Center!! I was in the 'Editorial/PR/Social' major and I saw a variety of speakers including Michelle Phan, Brian Phillips and Juliana Ribeiro from Black Frame PR, Aliza Licht (@dknyprgirl), Erika Bearman (@oscarprgirl), the Teen Vogue editors and more!

First talk of the day - Michelle Phan
Each speaker's story was different but the same in a way? All of them had worked incredibly hard to get to where they were but luck was involved, once they put the hard work in. Many of the lessons that I've personally learnt over the past two years (see my Mid Gap-Year Reflections post) were reinforced in the talks.

A talk from the art and fashion Instagram team leader - Kristen Joy Watts
Freebies from the talk
Obligatory Insta-photo with the Condé Nast sign
You may have heard this story before but Michelle Phan, probably the most successful beauty YouTuber of all time, was rejected from her dream job at the Lancome makeup counter when she first started her YouTube videos in 2007. And guess what, she was made a official video make-up artist for the brand in 2010! Amazing how life works!

Bomb views from the World Trade Center
Sunday - last talk of TVFU by Erika Bearman
Erika Bearman (PR manager of Oscar de la Renta) and Aliza Licht (PR manager of DKNY) have been incredibly successful but they both, sort of, fell into fashion. It's almost like fashion found them? Aliza Licht, for example, did a pre-med degree and was fully focused on becoming a doctor for a long time, until one day she realised it wasn't for her and pursued fashion instead.

Graduation certificate received on Sunday
So all in all it was an amazing weekend! After being subscribed to the magazine for 3 years, it seemed like a natural progression, but it was still surreal to be there after being selected out of 3500 applicants :') I will forever be grateful!

Until the next post,


P.S Apologies once again that the post is up so late, my laptop is still in the repair shop...thank goodness for computer access at the library though :') 

Post a Comment