Discovering My Personal Style

Posted on Wednesday, 10 September 2014

Style. It's what defines you. It's an extension of your personality.


I began to discover my own personal style throughout sixth form college (age 16 - 18) when we were finally allowed to wear our own clothes - as long as they weren't revealing or inappropriate. Throughout this time, I began to experiment with what I wore - also due to the influence of other fashion bloggers and YouTubers (e.g. Clothes Encounters, Beautycrush etc..) who were providing me with constant fashion inspiration.

I thought my style was 'a bit of everything' around that time, but looking back on it, I didn't actually know who I was or which style I was most inclined to. But I definitely knew that I didn't want to look like everyone else...especially in my school where certain friendship groups dressed the same.

The grunge/90s era was also coming back around this time, which is when I developed a bit of an 'obsession' with creepers. LOL those big, black shoes! I liked them 'cause they were different, cool and reflected my inner 'quirkiness'. Despite them practically deforming my feet at one point, I wore them throughout most of Autumn/Winter 2012-2013.

I also remember experimenting with a number of other clothing items. At one point I wore this pleated, white, knee length, lace skirt with black tights and creepers to go with it. I thought I was so cool (*facepalm*). I probably wouldn't wear that now but this is a prime example of me experimenting with different fashion styles. Here's a photo below (sorry it's blurry - had a Blackberry then lol) of me wearing this outfit, when I met one of my favourite YouTubers - Tasha Green.


Fast-forward to the present day and I think I've pretty much defined my personal style (for the moment anyway!). My absolute favourite stores are Topshop, Urban Outfitters & Missguided. These clothing brands all have one thing in common - they display a sort of edgy-chic, grungy fashion. Making frequent trips to Brick Lane (for the first time in AW12) and Camden throughout sixth form also contributed to my current fashion sense. Favourite pieces in this style include: mom jeans, boyfriend jeans, Doc Martens, Converse and anything tartan:

Grey & White Tartan shirt: Topshop | Bomber Jacket: Topshop| Blue Mom Jeans: Topshop | Converse: Office | Grey Jersey Dress: H&M | Red Tartan Shirt: H&M
Although my style isn't completely grunge, as you've seen in previous outfit posts, I was very much drawn to Jenn Im (from YouTube)'s 'Grunge Lookbook' video.


During my gap-year, I hope to develop this particular style further and add more of such items to my wardrobe (especially now I have a job!!) - which you'll be seeing in regular OOTDs.

Also, as a side note, I will now be blogging on a strict schedule twice a week - probably the weekend and mid-week, not confirmed what particular days yet but you'll definitely see me twice! I hadn't been able to blog previously because I was away (vacation photo diary coming shortly ^.^). I will also be doing #LFW posts and more so stay tuned!  Thank you to the two new people who followed me whilst I was away - it's very much appreciated :)

Was it easy finding your personal style? Comment below!


Post a Comment